Brittany Lewis

Monday, May 16, 2011

March 1 - 14

Hello Friends!
If you are a frequent reader of my blog, you may already know how busy life has been! The month of March started out very busy, and ended in a rather calm manner. After returning from Plant City, FL and filming the first segment for "The Doctors" I returned to life as Miss Delaware here in my home state. I spent a few days with my own doctors to deal with a new medical condition. I was excited to visit the Community Links program at the Modern Maturity Center to speak while they were honoring accomplished African American women in our community. Immediately after, I was on my way to the Red Ribbon Fashion Show at Barclay Bank in Downtown Wilmington. Of course, wearing my favorite red dress, I enjoyed a night of great fun while raising money and awareness for AIDS Delaware.

After a few more doctor appointments it was time to celebrate the birthday of a very different (and much happier) doctor- Dr. Suess! On March 2nd I found myself visiting an elementary school on the Dover Air Force Base, which includes a very special staff member in every Miss Delaware's heart- Sue Kuhling, the former MDSO Executive Director. I had the pleasure of reading two of my favorite Dr. Suess books that day, "Oh The Places You'll Go" and "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish". We even had cake and a little party to celebrate the occasion- what a fun day!

The next day I was on a plane to Los Angeles, CA to film the final segment for "The Doctors" TV Show, which was the interview segment. I was so looking forward to seeing Brooke once again and to see if I could notice a change in her. Boy, was it evident that she had already opened up and had become a little more comfortable! All of the doctors on the show were so welcoming and friendly- they seemed so genuinely interested in our story! And yes, ladies, Travis is just as adorable in person! See the previous entry for even more of the scoop!

The trip to Los Angeles had to be rather quick because I needed to be back in Delaware for a fashion show for Lady's Image, a local boutique and longtime friend of the Miss Delaware Scholarship Organization. In the show I wore a dress that I had purchased which was a black mini dress with a grecian draped shoulder and a silver rhinestone strap on the other.

The next week I visited one of my favorite sponsors, Carrie at the Hockessin Day Spa for a facial. I always look forward to those visits because Carrie and I love to catch up and I leave feeling so relaxed. I also spoke at the USDA Office in Dover for a luncheon. As a lifelong 4-Her and Board Member, I value our partnership with and the support of the USDA, so it was a joy to be with them.

Before I knew it, it was March 12th and I was filming with a German TV show about Alopecia Areata in the morning, and attending the Miss Delaware's Outstanding Teen Rehearsal and Dinner with the contestants! The next day I emceed the Miss Delaware's Outstanding Teen Pageant and celebrated the many accomplishments of my then little sister, Katelynn Mayers, MDOT 2010. Later that afternoon, I announced that our new Miss Delaware's Outstanding Teen 2011 is Victoria Brown-O'Brien! This was especially exciting for me, because I have known "Tori" since she was a toddler as her great grandmother, Tatiana Akinfieva Smith, was my ballet instructor with the Diamond Dance Company. Tori definitely has her great grandmother's talents and will be a force to be reconed with at the Miss America's Outstanding Teen Pageant in August! I am so proud of her and cannot wait to see all the wonderful things she will accomplish this year. Katelynn and Tori- I am blessed to call you both my first and only little sisters :)

Stay tuned for the update on the latter part of March! So many incredible things have been happening and I am thankful you are checking in to be a part of it!

With love and grattitude-

Kayla

No comments: