Brittany Lewis

Thursday, August 5, 2010

June 28th - July 2nd- New York!!!

After the excitement from the People Magazine photoshoot, my faithful traveling companion, Sandra Soucek and I hopped on a train in Wilmington to New York City! It was a very late night and I certainly slept well. I was in my eigthth state in the month of June alone!!! I have definitely had a taste of the job of Miss America.

Sandy and I woke up very early on Monday the 28th and found the car waiting outside our hotel to take us to CBS Studios! My very special friends, Lilliana and Isabella had also been sent to NYC with their parents Donna and Matt for this interview. That morning, Lilliana and I were featured LIVE on "The Early Show"! We had such a wonderful time and even though Lilliana did not feel up to talking, I know she enjoyed herself. Later, when we watched the tape together she was thrilled to see herself on the television! This was my first national television interview where I took off the wig, in order to show the woman I am underneath the hair. I know it made Lilly's day to have me strip the wig with her by my side.

Dylan Lauren (Ralph Lauren's daughter) was also on the show that morning, and she gave the little girls a few pieces of her candy products. And so we promised to visit Dylan's Candy Bar after we left (even though that was on our agenda, before we even knew she was a fellow guest!). After the interview, the six of us enjoyed and early lunch and sweet treat at Serendipity III! I had everyone try their famous Frozen Hot Chocolate! Yum!!! Then, we walked over to Dylan's Candy Bar and enjoyed a few samples and purchased some sugary treats! Lilliana and I were even approached by a woman who said, "Didn't I just see you on 'The Early Show'?"

Once Donna and Matt were on their way back to NJ with the girls, Sandy and I headed to Times Square to visit the TKTS booth! She bought tickets to "Promises, Promises" with the ever fabulous Kristin Chenoweth and Sean Hayes for my birthday present! With a delicious pre-theatre, Italian meal and an incredible show, I had a terrific belated birthday!!! Thank you, Sandy for making sure that I celebrated my birthday, after-all.

The next morning, Sandy and I were up early, again for an interview on Fox and Friends with former Miss America, Gretchen Carlson. What an amazing opportunity, to have a few minutes with someone who has experienced my dream job in several capacities. Everyone at Fox News was very kind and made sure that Sandy and I had everything we could need. Before we knew it, we were on the train that afternoon headed back to Delaware!

Upon returning to Delaware, super-husband, Mr. Soucek, was waiting to pick us up and relieve our tired soles! That night, and the following day was devoted to Miss America Paperwork! Our deadline was fast approaching, but fear not- everything was sent and received on time!

That Thursday, July 1st, I was interview live on 92.5fm and also filmed my interview for "The Insider" on ET! I had a wonderful time with Faye, my chaperone and our newest Miss Delaware board member. She has such a kind heart, and she made sure that my every need was met. I could not have had a better person by my side.

To round out the week, I had my headshots taken by my dear friend, Julia Fuller. She is just incredible. It was quite a task to narrow down the shots! Thank you Julia for not only being a true friend, but for sharing your talents with me on my journey to Miss America. Directly from my headshots I went to the Delaware Jaycees Social and Silent Auction Fundraiser at Iron Hill in Wilmington. My parents, Kevin and Debi attended the event and bid on items which all benefited the National Alopecia Areata Foundation. Thank you to every one in the DE Jaycees for surprising me with this fundraiser and for sharing the evening with me.

"The Insider" interview aired during this event, and the Iron Hill staff were kind enough to put all the tv's on ET for the hour! Everyone watched patiently, as we waited for my interview to air! Finally, the teaser played and I took my wig off as the announcer said, "Find out what makes this Miss Delaware different." As the camera panned out, the lady to my left, a regular Iron Hill patron, exclaimed, "Who's that bald girl from Delaware??!!" I turned to her with a smile and gave her a subtle nudge saying, "that's me!" She said, "You have hair, though!" and so I shared with her what the interview would reveal just a minute later. It was truly hilarious, because she said the first statement so loud that everyone in the area became quiet, waiting for my reaction!

All in all, this was a great way to end one of my busiest and most exciting weeks as Miss Delaware, thus far! Thank you to everyone of you for supporting me and for being there for me this year.

God bless you all!

Love,

Kayla

No comments: