Brittany Lewis

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"..and we can't slow down, 'cause more is best, it's all an endless process.." Rascal Flatts

Since the last time I posted, I've seen everything from local pageants to St. Patrick's day and much in between. From the busy weeks, which I love by the way (I function better when I'm busy and almost overwhelmed), I started wondering when everything started being such a race, competition, and a sacrifice of much-needed rest. There is a song that perfectly describes this.."Mayberry" by Rascal Flatts:

"Sometimes it feels like this world is spinning faster
Than it did in the old days
So naturally, we have more natural disasters
From the strain of a fast pace
Sunday was a day of rest
Now, it’s one more day for progress
And we can’t slow down ‘cause more is best
It’s all an endless process."


Don't get me wrong, I'm all about striving to be the best and reaching for full potential, but I just wonder at what point we started thinking that slowing down will only put us behind. I guess this goes to explain that when you drive a lot by yourself, you get to thinkin'.



Once the snow melted a few weeks ago, I was back on the road, back into schools, and back to being Miss Delaware, however I must say that I enjoyed the few days off. My brother may not agree because 1) I was stuck in the house with him and I get cabin fever pretty easily so the poor guy had to deal with me and 2) I was the reason that the four-wheeler got stuck in the snow and had to be pushed out because it stalled w/ a low battery (hehe). What would I do without my litte (bigger) brother!?

Friday (Mar. 6) welcomed me with classrooms of young children at The Little School in Dover. I made a few more dental presentations to the classes that had missed Dr. Sean and I the first time. The morning went well, but the attention span of 3 year olds is much shorter than I could have anticipated. You live and learn....and..skip lots of pages in the dental cartoon book!!
That evening I was in Georgetown and was the opening performer for Chelsea Betts' Alzheimers Awareness recital. I unpacked the piano, set it up, performed, thanked the audience, packed up the piano, and booked it back up to Milford for the local pageant! I thought I would be late, but somehow, some way, I was early, and was able to emcee the whole night! The local pageant went very well; great talent, great gals, and a beautiful new 2009 titleholder! Congrats Stephanie Bailey!!!!
I wasn't sorry to see my bed that night!

Saturday brought another great day of hanging out with local contestants backstage! We always have so much fun back there finding wigs and making jokes. I only had to perform, so I relaxed and enjoyed the pageant once it started. I spoke with the judges prior to the contestant interviews and had met a few of them before! They were a great panel!! The new titleholders that night were Lorin Walls and Kristina Maynard. Congratulations girls!! We couldn't end the weekend of local pageants without going out to eat! so we all met at AppleBees and enjoyed a delicious dinner. Kristina's mom even treated us all to mini desserts! (woohoo!) I love dessert!



I joined many supports of Locks of Love on Sunday at a large event that even held a fashion show. Many local boutiques including Lady's Image sponsored the outfits, gowns, and tuxedos for the models in the fashion show. They did a great job! and some of the volunteers even had their hair cut off in bob styles right on the runway!..donating their hair to Locks of Love.

Since Dr. Seuss' birthday was snowed out, my appearance at W.B. Simpson Elementary School was rescheduled for Monday. I spoke to the students about why reading was so important and how it has helped me. Then we went over some goals that the students have, and why reading would be essential in reaching those goals. To conclude my appearance, I performed on the piano for the kids, and then handed out signed photopads as the students exited. Many awards were given out for reading accomplishments and we were even treated to performances by the unicycling team at the school!! Now THAT'S talent!!!

As soon as I left the school, I booked it up to Philadelphia to meet a few local titleholders at the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia. We had a tour of the whole facility, something I had never taken part in even though I've visited the hospital numerous times! The hospital is fantastic, ever-growing, and ever-improving to provide children all over the world with the best possible care. Then we visited with a few patients, and helped out with their Spa Day! The girls loved it!!

I was picked up by Bob Kuhling (my EDs husband) the next day to visit golf courses all over New Castle County (there are tons!). We had many donate foursomes for our Miss Delaware Golf Tournament that will be held on May 20! Lucky for me, Bob drove because I snoozed the WHOLE way home in the passenger seat!..not much of a navigator! Fortunately, once you get to Route 1 in Delaware, you can always find your way home.

I was back on my school territory on Friday to visit the Easter Seals Volleyball Tournament. Easter Seals is and excellent organization that provides care and independence to those with disablities.

Saturday brought yet another baby shower, as promised! We celebrated Tish's baby shower with excellent food, friends, family (well, her family), gifts, and games! It's always nice to see the ladies from the dental office is clothing other than scrubs hehe.

I performed my Miss America piano piece, "El Cumbanchero" in church on Sunday. It was definitely not the type of Prelude they were accustomed too, but I'm pretty sure that they enjoyed it. If nothing else, it spiced up the service with it's spanish inspiration and powerful tune!!

It was time for our Miss Delaware fundraiser on Monday! It was held at the Georgia House in Milford and I'd say it was a success. I, along with other local titleholders, volunteered to "waitress" for the evening while supporters dined in the restaurant. I also performed at various times throughout the night. My mom is originally from Milford so she was able to visit with friends that she grew up with. My Aunt Brooke and cousin, Breck, were even in town from Florida and were able to make it to the dinner!! I was so glad to see everyone and am so fortunate for their support!


Saturday was SO much fun!! I went to the Heart Ball! The local titleholders and I arrived really early, so Kayla and ran out to Wawa to get some food and redbull!! Redbull would not be in business without my support of their products. My recipe for success: big smile and redbull! haha Just kidding..but, it never hurts! The Heart Ball was an event for the America Heart Association and there were all sorts of attractions like silent and live auction items, hors d'oeuvres, DJs, and a dance floor!! Does it get any better?? I had a great time, and plan on going next year!


This past Monday was spent at the University of Delaware recruiting contestants for Miss Delaware. If we put out the opportunity to compete, maybe we'll have more girls participate. Sometimes a lack of awareness or opportunity reduces the potential of any organization, so I was trying to make the information accessible. It was a fun day and I got to meet new people, but also saw some of my friends that I don't get to see very often =D

I got to spend lunch with members of the Absolam Jones Senior Center in Wilmington. I spoke to them about my year as Miss Delaware, performed for them, and then visited with all of them; chatting with and getting to know them a little better. It was a great afternoon, and some of the ladies are thinking of arranging a bus to take them all to Miss Delaware in June!!

Unfortunately, it was brought to my attention last night that Sue Kuhling my Executive Director, who has been by my side since I won Miss Delaware last June, was resigning. I support her decision, I'm sorry to see her go, but I know that I will always have a friend in her and she will always be a part of my life. I would not have wanted anyone else to accompany my family and I at the Miss America Pageant.


I have a lot to look forward to for the rest of this week and am actually, at this very moment, preparing a dental experiment for the five dental presentations I have in line for tomorrow. It should be a fun day! Anything that deals with dentistry is right up my alley..if only I could get to sleep!

I've also introduced myself to Twitter..if you don't have one, get it! I haven't quite caught on to why it's so enticing, but I'm sure after a few days I'll figure it out! Something tells me that I just don't have enough time to be a successful "tweeter" though..ugh, we'll see! Talk to you soon!

No comments: