Friday, June 5, 2009

Okay, somebody's been playing with my blog..where did all the purple, pink, pictures, and videos go??! I'm not a has-been yet!..sheesh hehe :)

Also, I am going to continue blogging at: after my year as Miss Delaware has you can keep following me if you'd like!!

Well this post dates back to May 16..the night of Allison's wedding..and WHAT a production it was! Let me first share with you the events of my morning that day. Background information: I had been having trouble with hives all week and couldn't figure out what I was allergic to. Well, when I woke up on Saturday morning, my eyes were so swollen that I could only open them half way! and they were as red as can be! It was awful! I took benadryl, washed my face, put cool cloths on my eyes, name it! Those puppies were not getting any smaller! Eventually, the benadryl did kick in and I look fairly normal, however, it still looked like I was wearing pink/red eyeshadow..which I was not. Well I explained the fiasco to my date, Chris, so that he wasn't afraid of me when he saw me that afternoon. We headed on down to Georgetown for me to perform in the actual ceremony. The wedding went well. It was beautiful! but I'm still not sure how they fit the entire wedding party up at the front! There were a LOT of bridesmaids and groomsmen! Then Chris and I, in sheer exhaustion from him working the night before and the effects of my benadryl, made an emergency stop at Rite Aid to get red bulls haha! With some caffeine in our system, we were ready to tackle the reception which was by far, the most outrageous reception I have ever seen. Flat panel TVs, floating candles on the lake, floating candles in the air, lights galore, a sparkly runway throughout the whole property, bars everywhere, martini bar, coffee bar, cigar bar, live music, dance floor, trendy furniture, excellent food, FIREWORKS..YES..FIREWORKS! Not backyard fireworks either..this was like the 4th of July! They should have charged their neighbors for the entertainment! I also have to add the Melanie, our newest addition to the Miss DE Board, practically forced me to go up to the "single ladies" bouquet toss. She pushed me up there, tried to make me go up front but I insisted that I would stay in the back. Well well..wouldn't you know..that dang bouquet came flying RIGHT at me! I couldn't have avoided it! I'll get you back for that Melanie!..sleep with one eye open.

The very next day, I had another allergic reaction..swollen, itchy, red eyes, and hives. Ugh. I missed a Bingo Night for the Miss Diamond State!! Fortunately, that was the last day.

The next week welcomed me with Right Decisions Right Now presentations at Frankford Elementary School.

I have been working on gathering pictures and video clips for my farewell video, so on Tuesday, Kimberly met with me to work on some things. It's coming along nicely, and I am SO fortunate to have her helping me!!

We finallllllly had our Miss Delaware Golf Tournament on Wednesday, May 20. I even got to play 18holes! My team actually used my ball three times..not to shabby, eh? I'm thinking about getting some clubs of my my free time, of course. The whole tournament went very well! Thank you to everyone who helped, participated, sponsored, or donated to the event!!!!

The next day brought more RDRN presentations. I love doing those. I will certainly miss them!

Friday night was my Gala! It was BEAUTIFUL!! Everything was black and white to resemble pianos :) There were even chair fancy, right! The food was great..even a sit-down dinner which nobody knew about! What a pleasant surprise!! It was a great way to end the year with friends and family. My dad's speech sure was a hit too! My mom made this heartfelt speech thanking everyone for such a spectacular year and my dad steps up to the podium, takes a deep breath like he's going to say something meaningful...and says... "ditto." The whole room burst into laughter! It was hilarious!

The next day I was at the Rita's in Stanton. They were holding a fundraiser for Alex's Lemonade Stand which raises awareness for Childhood Cancer. I had a great time chatting with customers and getting to know the owners and their families!..especially little Gabriella!!

The next Tuesday, I had more RDRN presentations at Mrs. Kemmerlin's school in Milford! The kids were great!!

Well this past weekend was Race Weekend in Dover, so on Friday, I was at the Nascar/Celebrity Billiard Tournament. I spent the evening with a few of the drivers, Clinton, Carl, and Kasey, and also with Herschel Walker..who just happened to be on the America's Junior Miss board when I was Delaware's Junior Miss a couple years ago. Small world! He was my bodyguard for the convenient!! Carl won the tournament and obeyed the cheering crowd which led to a back flip off of the pool table! After the tourney, we all went up to Michelle's to have a nice dinner with everyone. I bumped into a few family faces, met one of the truck series drivers, and even met some reporters that I ran into again later that weekend. I finished off the evening hanging out with a few of the drivers' pilots! What a night!

On Saturday, I had a performance at the Georgia House in Milford for an anniversary party. I met allllll of Melanie's family and had a blast!

Sunday brought the last day of the races. I went to Dover Downs and was escorted around in a golf cart, got my Hot Pass for the pits and got right into the pit after that! I met LOTS of people, took lots of pictures, was interviewed, and even played a game on the BIG screen. It was a numerology game with the Driver's and their car numbers. With the help of the audience..I got all of them right! By the time I made it over to the garage though, the drivers had already left to have the introductions..bummer! I got to see some of their friends that I had met the night before though!..and even met some pit crews..not a bad morning! I stayed in the pit for a while when the race started, but was then escorted to Dover Downs to meet with the GM. From there, we went to many of the sky boxes for the rest of the race! I had SUCH a fun day. A golf cart took my to my car about an hour after Jimmie won the race, and then I sat in the parking lot chatting with out-of-towners until the traffic died down.

On Wednesday, I gave the commencement speech at Dover High School. It was a huge honor to be back at my old school to speak to the most recent graduates and their families. I had recovered slightly from my case of laryngitis, but unfortunately, I still did not sound like myself. I made it through the speech though!

The following night we had the "Miss Delaware on the Green" performances. Because it was raining, it was moved to an indoor facility, and all of the Miss Delaware contestants (and me!) performed for the audience. We had a great time!

I had my very last Right Decisions Right Now presentation on Friday at North Georgetown Elementary school. The assembly went very well.

On Saturday, I was at the Walk for Infants event in Rehoboth, and then was off to the Spring Bash with the Governor in Milton.

We had my sisters Bridal Shower on Sunday which was a lot of fun!! Then I headed down to Georgetown to put the final touches on my Farewell Video for Miss Delaware with Kimberly.

Monday morning came ohhhh too was the start of Miss Delaware week..the start of the DATs..and the beginning of the end of my year as Miss Delaware. I also had my last school appearance that afternoon, then went up to Newark to have my first Kaplan DAT course. I'm a little overwhelmed with this whole DAT, Miss Delaware week, the end of my reign, and I'm still not completely over this laryngitis. It willllll get better :)

I'll update tomorrow, now that the internet connection in my hotel room is fixed. Three days left...


MDOT/MDSO said...

Okay My fault...Yes I am guilty as accused...playing around with the blog to incorporate into the Miss Delaware website. Galen I hope you forgive me for misplacing some of those gorgeous photos of you. Though I will try to fix it. You are so not a has been are amazing and a wonderful Miss Delaware!

monique said...

miss over delaware when you come to north georgetown to visit 5th grade I was so ecsited that I got to take a pitcher with you

Follow by Email