Brittany Lewis

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Ferry Fiascos, Photoshoots, and Parades!

I can safely say that this week has been the busiest one in my year as Miss Delaware thus far. I don’t say this to complain because I’m happiest when I’m busy!

Sunday was the day of the ferry fiasco. After planning ahead (for once in my life) and booking a ferry ticket to work with my INCREDIBLE Miss America choreographer, Jamie Ginn, Miss Delaware 2006, I arrived an hour early for my ferry to Cape May, NJ. Once 7:25 am rolled around and the gate still had not opened, I realized I had booked the ferry backwards, from NJ to DE, and the first ferry from Lewes wasn’t until 9:15 am! Luckily the incredibly understanding customer service employees exchanged my ticket free of charge and helped me along my way. Misfortune over? Not quite. I have been on my fair share of boats in my life, I live near the water and I spend as much time on it as possible. Never before have I been seasick, but Sunday, of all days, my stomach got the best of me. I arrived in Ocean City, NJ slightly green, nauseous, and flustered, but excited to get to work. The session was incredible and I cannot wait to perform my new routine at Miss America!

The day ended with my Outstanding Teen, Morgan Burris’s send-off to Orlando for the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Pageant! Morgan emulates everything the MAOT program is about, she is kind, compassionate, incredibly talented, intelligent, and well spoken. I can’t wait to watch her work that stage in Florida. GO DELAWARE!

Monday was a super intense, rope climbing, kettle bell flinging session with my official Miss DE trainer, Paul Timmons at The Firm in Rehoboth Beach. Tuesday I headed to Harrington for the Delaware Electric Cooperative dinner, Wednesday I visited Sal Cutrona, my Miss DE hair sponsor and Gloria, my nail sponsor at Michael Christopher Salon in Wilmington to get pretty before Orlando. Thursday I went to the Eagles vs. Steelers football game with a friend, totally unrelated to Miss Delaware, but totally AWESOME.

On Friday I participated in Trash the Dress for Charity. Lead by photographers Sam Ellis and Anne Donaway, young women can donate an old prom or homecoming dress to those who are not able to finance their dream dress. Sam and Anne take pictures of the models on the beach and gradually making their way into the water. They then dry clean these dresses and get them to those who need them! I had an extra dress hanging around in my closet that I hope someone will love! Nothing better than modeling and swimming in a gown for a great cause! I was honored and excited to be a part of this project.

Saturday I had an interview with Prita from PageantProfessors.com in Washington, DC and tomorrow morning is the Bower’s Beach  Parade!

This week was a busy/hectic/fun one, and I can only hope I stay this busy throughout my year as Miss Delaware!

P.S. If you haven’t seen it yet, check out Maria Cahill, Miss Delaware 2011, on Life on the Rock on EWTN! She was a total natural and I’m super proud! 



No comments: