Brittany Lewis

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My FIRST Blog Post as MISS DELAWARE!


HI EVERYONE! My first blog post as Miss Delaware, how amazing/unbelievable is this? Every morning I wake up and I still have to double check to make sure I’m not in some incredible, ridiculous, inception-caliber dream. 6 weeks after being crowned, I am finally having a few quiet moments to reflect on the week that has forever changed my life.

Just 2 years ago I was an awkward, self-conscious, and quirky college freshman at the University of Delaware (GO BLUE HENS!) trying to find where I fit in, when I received a facebook message from Mama Sandy Soucek, telling me I should compete for a preliminary pageant to Miss Delaware.

I have grown more in the past 2 years through my experience with the Miss Delaware/Miss America Organization than I have in 18 years prior. After placing 4th runner-up to the fabulous Maria Cahill, a best friend of mine, I decided that I was going to put myself out there this year and leave everything I had on that Miss Delaware stage. I prepared like I never had before.  I lost 2 dress sizes and about 20 pounds, improved my talent and selected the wardrobe of my dreams.

For the first time ever, I was 100% confident with my body when I stepped on stage Thursday night for swimsuit. I felt completely confident with my onstage question (it probably didn’t hurt that it was about my platform) which I have been involved with for 8 years, (more on that later). Friday night I was so ecstatic to receive the evening gown preliminary award and my talent went even better than I  hoped.  Saturday night was a complete whirlwind. Out of the top 11, guess who was number 11. Yup, this girl right here. If you thought I was a nervous wreck, you should have seen my poor Mother! She just about had a coronary right there in Dover Downs. With the announcement of the top 5, I was at peace. Did I want to be Miss Delaware? You bet. I had put a year of hard work and dedication into this and I knew I was ready for this job. Having said that, there were 4 other beautiful, intelligent, and well rounded young women in those hot seats with me that would have made a wonderful state titleholder.

The crowning was an absolute blur. All I remember is hearing names called, and thinking “that’s not me.” I was so happy I got to share that moment with Renee. That girl didn’t win Miss Congeniality for nothing. She kept all of us smiling and laughing all week. I don’t remember what song was playing, I don’t remember what I did, and I certainly don’t remember hearing my name called out, but I eventually realized I was still standing there. Judging by the pictures from Miss Delaware, I think I held it together pretty well, and I was so happy to see the positive reactions from every other contestant. These girls are like my family now and I am so thrilled, honored, and humbled to be a representative for this class of young women.

I am sorry this is such a long post, but there is no way to shorten what was the single best week of my entire life into a short paragraph. I am so thrilled to start my reign as Miss Delaware, and I hope you all follow my adventures on this blog!

Until next time,

Alyssa



                           Check out this slideshow from Miss Delaware week!


No comments: