Brittany Lewis

Friday, November 23, 2012

Where liberty dwells, there is my country.

Seeing as it's the Holiday season and yesterday was Thanksgiving, I feel that this blog post is necessary. In early November my Step Father, Floyd was sent to Training before he leaves in December to fight for our Country. He will be stationed in Afghanistan for a year with his Military Police Unit with the Army National Guard. There is never a good time to send a loved one off to war, but it is especially hard to close to the holiday season. Thanksgiving is strange when someone you care about is so far away, and Christmas morning will not be the same this year. Though it's selfish of me, I am most upset that he won't be able to share my Miss America experience with me, seeing as Floyd was so supportive and helpful on my journey to Miss Delaware. 

I want to encourage all of you to thank someone you know who has served, or is still serving this great country we call home. It is these people who preserve our freedom, protect American justice, and fight to ensure that we are able to have the rights our founding fathers fought so hard to give us. It takes a true hero to give of themselves for a greater cause, and I for one am so proud to say that one of these heroes is in my family. Take the time out to send out a thank you, and send up a prayer for those in service, and remember that there are people who are fighting to protect you, your families, and your rights as citizens of the United States of America. God Bless the U.S.A. and thank you and Godspeed to our military servicemen and women.



 "This nation will remain the land of the free, only so long as it is the home of the brave." -Elmer Davis

No comments: