Brittany Lewis

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Wrapping up the Summer

As summer is slowly coming to an end I wanted to fill you in on the rest of my appearances since I came home from Florida.

After I arrived at home from watching Danielle do an amazing job at MAOT in Florida I met with a wonderful lady named Kim Taylor. We met to help me create lesson plans for Character Counts and begin working on the materials I will be using to advocate for my platform. I am excited to get into schools and other places within the community to spread the message of good character. If anyone is looking for a speaker to come and talk about good character to a group of kids whether it be at schools, Boys and Girls clubs, libraries, after school programs, etc. I would be more than happy to do so. It is my goal to promote my platform in as many places to as many people as humanly possible this year. I think my year as Miss Delaware should be focused on making a difference and impacting the world around me. Please contact me or Susan Collins if you have any questions or would like to have me speak at an event!

Later that week I went with Carol Stevens to attend the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer breakfast in Wilmington. I was so inspired by the speakers that morning and the people there, that I will be walking in the Makings Strides walk on October 18th in Rodney Square up in Wilmington. I encourage everyone to get involved in this walk and help support a cause that is fighting nonstop for a cure through the American Cancer Society. Feel free to ask me about this as well : )
That same day I visited the first annual Delaware Burn Camp at Camp Barnes. I hung out with the campers, got a tour of the facility, and had a wonderful dinner with them and their families. We played tic tac to, we raced wooden school buses and airplanes they made, hung out by the pool, and ate some yummy sweet corn.
This past week I interviewed with Cool 101.3 to talk with Mike Butts about the Georgetown Raceway Fundraiser I am helping with this Sunday. It will be on Sunday Sept. 6th and will be supporting the Miss DE Scholarship Org, Miss DE's Outstanding Teen Scholarship Org, and the Children's Miracle Network. At least 3 races will be held and I will be starting the races by singing the National Anthem. It was my pleasure hanging out with Mike and his staff along with Jessica from Georgetown Raceway that morning.
A few days ago I had the Children's Beach House Fundraiser down in Lewes, DE. It is a beautiful place that raises money to hold camps in the summer and on weekends during the school year for low income children with various learning needs. They do not charge a thing for these kids to come and stay at the Beach House! It was a fantastic evening and I was accompanied by a great guy named Dolph Spain. We talked with all sorts of people and ate delicious food. Mike Butts from Cool 101.3 was the DJ there. The decorations were incredible and the support from the people there was even more incredible.
Earlier that same day I went to Harrington Heritage Day along with Donald, my driver. I was in the parade and then walked around to the various vendors in downtown Harrington. Even though it was very humid there was no rain and everyone was having a great time!

This past Sunday I went with Carol, Debi, and my mom to begin my quest for the perfect Miss America wardrobe. We had a great time and even managed to squeeze in lunch at a small shop where we were searching. We are making progress, but don't expect any details....I'm keeping them a secret until my send off! I love surprises! I know whatever I pick will be worth the wait though so no worries.

Be sure to tune in to Cat Country 97.5/105.9 TONIGHT from 8-9PM for Wheels 2 Wheels where Danielle and I will be talking about the upcoming raceway fundraiser Sept. 6th!

Till next time...

No comments: