Brittany Lewis

Sunday, November 15, 2009

JDRF Monster Mile Walk


I had a wonderful time a few weeks ago at Dover Speedway. No I was not watching one of their stimulating horse races or NASCAR races, I was participating in the walk for a cure for Juvenile Diabetes. It was wonderful to see so many people come out to support such a great cause. The Lions Club was a huge help in putting the whole event together. I was honored to sing the National Anthem before the runners/walkers started on their 5K journey. Don't think I got out of walking around the track though! My mom and I walked around with the rest of the supporters, and I was able to get in a small work out that weekend!
After the race/walk was finished, Danielle (MDOT) and I helped draw tickets for the raffle prizes, and boy did they have some amazing prizes!! It is always nice to see such smiling faces on those who are facing such trying times in their lives, whether they are personally afflicted with diabetes or if they are a family member or friend. This 5K and even the raffle put some much needed fun into everyone's life.

After the raffle I was able to sign a few autographs for some of the participants. The looks on the faces of the little girls that I get to meet will be some of my most rewarding memories as Miss Delaware. It is times like this that I know I am far more than some "beauty queen" I am indeed a role model.

No comments: