Brittany Lewis

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mouse-Hunting in Florida...

Disney World.  The land of an obnoxiously large castle.  The land of mice that run around wearing outfits calling themselves Mickey and Minnie.  The land of the 8 dollar (good grief) Tinkerbell key chain! THE LAND OF AWESOMENESS!!!!

Last week, I went to Florida for the Miss America's Outstanding Teen pageant with my mom and one of my sisters.  The trip started out great even though we had to leave at 4 in the morning.  I was feeling upbeat, had stretched, ran around my living room (because there is so much room for activities) and felt like I had successfully packed enough (which never happens. EVER.).  The day was going really great.  The plane ride was smooth.  I had my ray-bans on. I had my Glamour and Marie Claire magazines....AHHHHH this is the life....then we landed.

Guess what didn't show up.  One of our bags.  In it was packed my flat iron, curling iron, makeup, and ALL of my sister's clothes.  

Now, normally, this wouldn't bother me.  I have come to not like (believe it or not)  wearing a lot of makeup and, most times, I don't mind my hair going crazy....



...even though that is how my hair looks on a GOOD day...fail.

HOWEVER....this was one week I HAD to look halfway decent.  There was filming for Miss America, filming little youtube videos and pictures GALORE.  How could this happen to me?!?!?!

Okay...putting all drama aside....the bag did show up 6 hours later....that dumb thing just decided to board another flight to Orlando.  What a loser.  It showed up just in time! God, if that was you playing a joke on me....that was literally the most not funny joke EVER.

That week, I wore heels 20 out of 24 hours and wore a dress.  It was like an abridged (massively) version of Miss America!


Sidenote - Heels are very cute.  Not only do they give you a height boost which in turn gives you a better view of the room you are in, but it also elongates your legs which makes them look lean and mean.  However, some heels are the WORST!  Sure you may walk in Bebe and try on 6 inch nude platform pumps that are the greatest thing to happen to this fashion world, but the thing to do is to save them until the last day...unlike me.  Bebe heels = not so comfy.  Bebe heels = the worst blisters. Ever.

BEAUTY IS PAIN. BEAUTY IS PAIN. BEAUTY IS PAIN.

Goodness, as much as I try to tell myself...it doesn't work.  It is like telling yourself that broccoli tastes as good as a hamburger.  Just...no.

Anyway.... the week was a blast.  My  little "sister", Tori, did absolutely INCREDIBLE.  She is one of the most beautiful dancers I have ever had the privilege of watching.  She did absolutely wonderful and I have never been so proud.  She is doing such a fabulous job as Miss Delaware's Outstanding Teen.  Love you, girl!!!

Not only were we there to root for our girls, but the 53 Miss America contestants got to film in Disney for Miss America and Disney promotional commercials, listen to talks by Miss America and the Miss America board members and so much more.  The most memorable part, in my (and I am sure many of the other girls would agree) opinion, was when we listened to a talk by Colonel David Sutherland of the United States Military.  I am usually pretty good at holding it together at funerals, sappy movies and things of that nature, but hearing him talk about losing his best friend right in front of him, the devastating effects that war can have on these soldiers, and when he ended his speech with "I am Colonel David Sutherland of the United States Military, and I WILL DIE FOR YOU," - there was literally not one dry eye in the room.  Incredible speech from an incredible man.

One of the other crazy experiences of the week was riding on the Tower of Terror.  Check off the bucket list?  I think yes!  I was really excited for it and Miss PA, Julianne Sheldon,  was really pumping me up!  The ride was great until...the end...  Who got stuck when the ride broke down for a good 5 minutes in the pitch black.  This girl...along with about 20 other Miss America contestants.  Perfect.  Making memories?  Yes.  On the bright side, one of the girls had Twizzlers and water in her bag so we could have lasted for a couple days...

Overall, the week was a blast.  I had a wonderful time getting to know the girls, meeting the current Miss America (who was FABULOUS and so incredibly gracious and humble) and getting a feel for the Miss America pageant in January.

A huge thank you to my Uncle Bob, Stan and Calvin Wilson for taking my mom, sister and I to Universal Studios after the pageant was over so that I can now check off 2 items on my never ending bucket list...one, to go to Harry Potter World and two, to go on the Jaws ride.

Sidenote - I have wanted to go on this Jaws ride for years and years...and after I rode it and a little boy started crying...I knew that it lived up to the hype...


ENJOY SOME PIX :)



LOVE my girl, Tori!! So proud of her!!! :)



PS.  THANK YOU to the people in my life who are so supportive of what I do during my year and remember that I am the same person with or without a crown.  I am SO lucky to have people like that in my life, especially now.


Also, I am starting to raise money for Children's Miracle Network!  Click on the link to the left side of the page ("MAKE A DONATION TODAY") and search my contestant name to help out!  Every little bit helps! :)

Stay chill and go on the Jaws ride whenever you can,
Maria Cahill

"Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart."
Proverbs 37:4

1 comment:

ARIN said...

i loved harry potter world were on move6. i have luna lovegoods wand!