Brittany Lewis

Monday, September 10, 2012

Riverwalks, Weddings and Flu Shots!



This past week could not have been more opposite from my last week! Every day this week I was running to appearances, meetings, and speaking engagements, and I enjoyed every second. 

I worked out with Paul Timmons at the firm in Rehoboth Beach, DE, my official trainer for Miss America on Monday. I always enjoy working with Paul and I am learning a lot from him about health and nutrition. 

Tuesday I went and visited the Fenwick Island Lion's Club at Harpoon Hannah's. In high school I was fortunate enough to receive the John Furlow $4000 scholarship from this organization, and I was honored when they invited me to their meeting to speak and join them for lunch. As it turns out, I'm fantastic at stalling and rambling. Upon my arrival they asked for a 20 minute speech. No that is not a typo, I spoke for 20 minutes about college scholarships, Miss Delaware, Miss America, skin cancer prevention, and every other aspect of my life. I ended up having a wonderful time reconnecting with the Lion's Club and being able to express my gratitude to them. 

On Thursday I headed upstate to visit my skin care sponsor, Hockessin Day Spa to be spoiled. If you live in the area and have not had a facial from Donna yet, you are seriously missing out. Not only is she awesome and funny and sweet, but she keeps my skin glowing and fresh and always hooks me up with some awesome products! I then headed to the fabulous Debi Wilson's house to pick my spot for Miss America in the Miss America Lottery! I am glad to say I was lucky enough to get the spot I had my eye on. Call me superstitious but I was contestant number 7 in the Mu group at Miss Delaware, and I will be contestant number 7 in the Mu group at Miss America. It's all becoming so real now I can hardly contain my excitement. I ended the night catching up with some sorority sisters at the Alpha Xi Delta house at the University of Delaware.

For those of you who don't know already, I am a huge football fan. I love high school, college, NFL, and any other type of football you can possibly think of. I have 2 brothers who played on my high school football team, and while I was cheer leading captain I could never keep my eyes off the field. Friday night I was invited to Seaford High School Community Night to meet and greet, sign autographs, and toss the coin to start the game! I even got to spend time with Miss Seaford, Carolyn Smith! It was so much fun running around with the younger football fans and we even ended up on the local news. Though I had to hide my Indian River pride for the night, I had a blast at Seaford High and I hope to go back soon.

Without a doubt, Saturday was my busiest and most fun day by far. In the morning I headed up to Milford for the Riverwalk event. If you're unaware, I'm high energy, clumsy, accident prone, and silly, so there is never a dull moment. The wind gusts of 20 mph forced us to take down our tent and our decorations, and we ended up with nothing but a bare table and raffle tickets to sell. One man asked me if I was selling kisses, yikes, I got my flu shot from Walgreens pharmacy, and ended up staying for 3 hours after I was booked because I was having such a blast! After that I headed up to Dover for the Denim and Diamonds fundraiser for Meals on Wheels. I was joined there by my fabulous Executive Director, Debi Wilson, Maria Cahill, Miss Delaware 2011, Marcie Smith, Miss Diamond State 2012, and Stephanie Bailey, Miss Newark 2012. We had a blast dancing with all the guests and sampling delicious food from throughout the state. Maria and I took center stage to "shuffle" and at one point I distinctly remember hearing someone say "Look, Miss Delaware is doing the running man!" It was great to be able to spend a night with my pageant sisters and raise money for such a great cause.

Yesterday my mom was married and we celebrated at a good friend's house. I even let myself cheat and have a piece of wedding cake, but don't tell Paul! My mom's husband is leaving for Afghanistan in October so all prayers for his safe return home are greatly appreciated. 

All told this week was exhausting and full of travel, but I would want to spend my time any other way. 



Here are just a few shots from this week, there are many more to come!

No comments: