Brittany Lewis

Friday, October 9, 2009

Welcome Home!!!


On Wednesday September 30th I was able to welcome home the 261st Delaware National Guard Brigade in Dover outside of the Capital. It was amazing to see so many friends, family members, supporters, and dignitaries there to witness such a beautiful ceremony. They were very proud to announce that every single member of that troop made it home alive! I thought that was something I needed to share with everyone to showcase the remarkable work and commitment this troop displayed. They were gone for nearly a year overseas in Iraq. Even the proud father, Vice President Joe Biden, was there to speak and welcome home his son and the rest of the troop.
I felt privileged to have a seat up front in the VIP section. The troop marched in playing bagpipes and drums as the crowd gave them a standing ovation. It was a beautiful sight to behold. I know that it is tremendously difficult to go without a loved one for such a long period of time. I have had a couple of my family members be deployed overseas to the Middle East. One is currently still there working very hard for our nation's Army.
Even though I was not welcoming home a family member at this event, it made me think of my family members that have gone or are still out there and everyone else who has ever had to deal with a loved one going off to fight for our country. It is important to never forget those that serve our country and keep us safe! They are doing a job that many of us are so grateful we do not have to do.
So again, Welcome Home 261st! You've done our nation proud!

No comments: